Once again, the debit card that most colleges and universities put student aid fund on, Higher One, is in the news again for charging exorbitant fees for the use of the card.  It is unfortunate that colleges are requiring that funds be placed on these cards.  It is very important for students and parents to understand that the funds do NOT have to remain on the cards or in the Higher One account.  If faced with this issue, the student or parent should, as soon as the funds are placed in the college required debit card account, move those funds to their own personal bank account, where the debit card fees and costs will  much likely be less.
John Rogers, Kentucky Bankruptcy Attorney